Thursday, June 18, 2009

BA asks staff to work for nothing


Wow - just read this on the BBC website.


BA have written to all staff asking if they'd be prepared to either take one months unpaid leave or to work for nothing for a month.


Of course I've seen this before at small, family owned, firms but never at a giant like BA.


I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand I think that if they're that hard up then anything that would save jobs and/or the airline is a good idea.


On the other hand, Willie Walsh (the chief exec) giving up his monthly salary of £61,000 will probably not cause him too much grief whilst for many of the lower paid staff it would have a serious impact upon their lives.


I can see both sides of the coin and just feel sad that a brilliant brand like BA should be in such dire straits.

No comments: