Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I don't want to merge with Aquitaine

Don't get me wrong. I love Bordeaux and when I go to watch the Girondins I wear my doughty "33" jumper with pride.

But this story http://english-news.charentelibre.com/editionEn-2521-calls-for-referendum-on-merging-poitou-charentes-with-aquitaine.html?id_edition=247 about the possibility of Charente and Charente Maritime being swallowed up by Aquitaine gets my goat.

I've only been here five years but our friends call us "Charentanglais". And if I don't want to lose my identity having just laid down some roots what of my neighbours Yves & Jacqueline who were born and bred in this village. I struggle to understand them as they speak a mixture of Charentais patois and olde worlde French - they laugh at the idea of losing their department.

No comments: