If you’re looking for a combination of sunshine, picturesque riverside villages, reasonable property prices and a slower pace of life then you should consider the Charente.
“The most beautiful stream in my kingdom” is how Francois 1’er described the river Charente and many experts agree with him.
Yet property still offers excellent value for money. Set out below are some of the latest figures published by the “Notaires de France” http://www.immoprix.com/ipStat.php?zgid=54016&tb=MAA
They have calculated that the average house price, across France is €195,400. The average house price in Charente is just €128,900 (although this rises to €166,200 if you include all four departments of Poitou Charentes).
Now I think that’s an amazing statistic when you look at what the Charente has to offer. The region is one third cheaper than the average yet:
1. It’s the second sunniest region of France with around 2,400 hours of sunshine every year.
2. It boasts terrific communication links including direct flights to the UK, proximity to the motorway network and TGV trains to Paris, Lille and the UK.
3. The river Charente is universally ageed to be one of the most beautiful in France and borders some stunning market towns (like Jarnac, home of Courvoisier).
4. The countryside is beautiful with rolling hills covered in vines & sunflowers.
5. The World famous town of Cognac is lively throughout the year with an abundance of festivals, bars, restaurants and leisure activities.
6. There is a variety of property available from townhouses to Maison de Maitres with walled gardens and towering views over the vines.
Last year I helped clients buy this beautiful, 18th century old school house. It was a private sale which went smoothly thanks to the local Mayoress who was keen to see it restored to it’s former position as the signature house in the village. The seven bed Maison de Maitre is nearing completion and my clients still have to pinch themselves that they paid only €280,000 for it.